The Himalayan salt lamps are not only beautiful but beneficial for your health as well.
With their peaceful illumination, they can turn any room into a peaceful place to relax and let all your worries.
Found in the salt mines of the Himalayas in Pakistan, Himalayan salt lamps are getting deserved attention for the health benefits they offer.
Let us walk through these crystal rock salt lamps.
What is a Himalayan Salt Lamp?
Just as the name suggests, Himalayan salt lamps are lamps made with real salt extracted from salt mines. The origins can be traced to the Khewra salt mines in the Punjab district of Pakistan.
The entire lamp is made up of pure rock salt. The purity of which can be identified from its pinkish color and rugged texture.
How do Himalayan Salt Lamps Work?
How would merely placing a lamp made of salt be beneficial for you?
Well, the crystal salt lamps release negative ions and have hygroscopic properties to help improve the air quality.
Releasing Negative Ions
Scientific research shows that Himalayan salt lamps can generate negative ions. These negative ions balance out the positive ions, which create from electronic devices such as phones, televisions, and microwaves.
The positive ions from electronics can cause depression, allergies, and even disturbances in sleep. Hence, in essence, negative ions cleanse the air which your household appliances pollute.
The crystal salt lamps also have specific hygroscopic properties, which make them a beneficial product.
Hygroscopic properties help dehydration. Therefore, the water vapor in the air, carrying pollutants and toxins are attracted to the surface of the salt lamp. The atmosphere is, simultaneously, left with clean water vapors.
The Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt lamps
Now that we know about the functionality of the Himalayan salt lamp, it is time to learn the health benefits they have to offer.
Some of the benefits of crystal salt lamps are:
Improve Sleep Quality
An experiment done on mice suggests that positive ions are linked to anxiety, depression, and other mental disturbances. Thus, it often leads to sleeplessness.
On the other hand, the release of negative ions, in an optimal amount, showed increased well being and relaxed mental health.
As the Himalayan salt lamps release negative ions, they can improve your sleep quality.
Reduce Asthma and Calm Allergies
Because of their air ionization properties, Himalayan salt lamps are also known to be of great help to asthma patients.
As the pollutants and toxins are cleared from the air, it becomes easier to breathe.
The purified air also leads to less vulnerability to allergies.
It is also known that in the ancient era, salt therapy has been used to cure respiratory diseases. People would spend some time in a salt cave so that they would have purified air to breathe.
However, the evidence supporting this theory is minimal.
Neutralize Electromagnetic Radiations
These harmful rays are neutralized through the negative ions released from the salt lamps.
Boost Blood Flow
Studies also show that negative ions can help increase blood flow.
It helps prevent damage to the lungs and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
Himalayan Salt Lamps for Interior Decor
Apart from the health benefits, Himalayan salt lamps offer various benefits for your home décor.
Some of those benefits are:
Crystal salt lamps come in many different designs so you can find one that complements the décor of your home.
The lamps are not something you find in every home. So, they will catch the eye as well.
The warm light radiating from the salt lamp creates a very relaxing atmosphere in any room they are placed in.
No matter the wood floor or a marble slab, the soft glow pops out the texture of your room.
Use as a Night Lamp
The soothing glow from the lamp will help you sleep faster. And fulfills the purpose of a night light.
The brightness of the salt lamp is just right for your eyes.
You can place plants to complement the look of the salt lamp, creating a vibrant blend of colors.
At the end of the day, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are using environmentally friendly methods of house décor.
What are the Different Types of Himalayan Salt Lamps?
Though there is a lot of diversity of Himalayan salt lamps, here are some popular types.
- Natural Salt Lamps. The simpler kind they are. Because of their large size, these are perfect for living rooms and offer a very natural rugged look.
- Decorative Salt Lamps. Crafted in various designs, the decorative salt lamps are for those who want a more refined look of the existing structure.
- Salt Metal Baskets. Appearing like a bowl of fire, these basket salt lamps are another beautiful variation of the Himalayan salt lamp
- Night-Light. The warm glow from these night light salt lamps is perfect for relaxing and meditating. The light is very subtle, making it ideal for the bedroom.
- USB Salt Lamps. These salt lamps have a USB cable, which you could plug into your electronic devices’ USB ports, making them portable to use.
What Colors and Shapes are Himalayan Salt Lamps Available in?
The color of the Himalayan salt lamps depends on the part of mine salt is extracted from.
Some colors that the salt lamps are available in are:
White– natural yet rare.
Orange– provides rosy glow and helps ease depression.
Pink– stimulates love and emotions.
Grey– have darker shades of rock salt.
Red– helps promote blood circulation.
The lamps can be found in different shapes, all of which have their elegance.
The most common shapes of Himalayan salt lamps are:
- Rock shape – a rugged texture that looks like a Himalayan mountain itself.
- Cube – This shape is usually used as a candle holder
- Sphere – an aesthetic design, perfect for your living room
- Bowl – This shape consists of a round bowl with tiny cubes of Himalayan salt insides.
- Pyramid – a smooth surface along with a peak. They look like a miniature mountain top
How to Tell if the Salt Lamp is Fake?
With the growing popularity of the Himalayan salt lamp, there is no wonder that some merchants would try to trick you into buying a fake lamp.
Hence, below are a few ways to tell if the salt lamp is real.
The lamp is too Bright yet Weighs More
An original salt lamp usually weighs between 2-4lbs.
The bulb inside the lamp is supposed to give off a soft gleam – one that cannot illuminate the entire room.
Hence, if your lamp is very bright yet too heavy, it is a sign that the lamp is fake.
Salt lamps are sensitive and can get damaged easily.
Hence, if your lamp falls and its crystals don’t chip away, it’s an indication that the lamp is fake.
White Crystal, but Less Expensive
The rarest color of the salt lamp is the white crystal.
These are extremely difficult to find, and hence more pricey.
If you find a salt lamp which is cheaper than the ones in usual colors, you are being ripped off.
No Mention of Origin in Pakistan
Real Himalayan salt lamps are made in Pakistan, and any merchant claiming otherwise is selling you a fake lamp.
For assurance, you should check the lamp to see any mention of Pakistan as the producer.
Ideals Places to Use a Himalayan Salt Lamp
- Bedroom. A salt lamp with its soft glow will make your bedroom more relaxing and help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Living Rooms. The living room is probably the place that has the most electromagnetic radiation. Installing a Himalayan salt lamp here would help purify the air as well as being a great visual appeal.
- Office. Your office is the place where you get tons of stress and exhaustion. With a Himalayan salt lamp in such a tense environment, you can get a positive vibe, making you productive and efficient.
- Spa and Meditation Rooms. The primary purpose of having a meditation room or a spa is to spend some time relaxing to cleanses your mind. A salt lamp in place would help enhance the room ambiance.
- Nurseries and Kids Room. A nursery is another excellent place to install a salt lamp. The calming glow of the lamp will help your child sleep faster and better. Moreover, the purified air helps your baby avoid difficulty in breathing.
- Hospitals and Recovery Rooms. At the hospital, patients require some level of comfort to cater to stress. With a Himalayan salt lamp in recovery rooms, they would feel more relaxed. The health benefits of the salt lamp can also be useful to the patient’s health.
- Restaurants and Hotels. A rock salt lamp placed in the lobby of your hotel will add a welcoming touch to the environment.
Wrapping It Up
Himalayan salt lamps are indeed something you should invest in.
The health benefits they have on top of being aesthetically pleasing is a testament to the value for money a Himalayan salt lamp can offer.
We hope this article helps you get a beautiful rock salt lamp.